Friday, August 26, 2011

Why I do what I do not love: A response to self

As a student of the humanities trapped in the life of a business major, I find myself regularly frustrated by feelings of disaffection. It was during a particularly intense stretch of final examinations that my mind began burning in silent furry. I was physically and mentally exhausted but above all I laid on the brink of psychological defeat. I could no longer study. There, in the library, I would scribble down an impassioned sort of personal constitution. A justification of my choices and declaration of intent. After the half hour spent in composition of this piece, I found myself refreshed. Ready again the dive into tedium of indifference curves and balance sheets...

Because the universe is an organic whole
That I crave to know

Lest the Dionysian forget the Apollonian’s truth
Life cannot be splintered; Knowledge is one

The discipline of disciplines is sublime
And I cannot take what is not mine

So while I may not see, I might still know
If I forge on through I can still hope to grow
I must conquer the depths, beholden to the heights
For my hopeful days, I accept muddled nights
I am you and you are me
But I can still look upon you condescendingly
That which I do love is dependent on you
As the predator to his prey, so must I keep you
So I do what I do not love
And I fasten my eyes to the sky above
That it might one day take hold
And I might be both wise and old

No comments:

Post a Comment